In 1950 the company is established by Dimitris N. Skartsilakis at 40 Palaiologou Str. A master artisan at the art of pastry making, he was a teacher for many of Rethymno's next generation of pastry makers.
Among them, his own son Nicolaos whom, in 1958 only a 13 year-old schoolboy decides to work in the family business. The master teacher and his student are creating tasty masterpieces together, like the famous "galaktoboureko" (custard filled pastry) and delicious ice cream from sheep's milk, that become popular among the people of Rethymno since then. Following in their preference, comes the pudding and sweet cake in various tastes, while fans of "special" desserts had a liking for the Viennese, the bowl, corné and éclair.